What Benefits Can I Claim for Hearing Loss?

Struggling with hearing? Request a hearing test appointment today.

What Benefits Can I Claim for Hearing Loss?

Many people are unaware that they may be entitled to a range of support services and financial assistance to help them manage long-term hearing issues or make life a little easier with limited hearing. The benefits available to you for hearing loss can very much depend on the severity of your condition.

Although hearing loss can often be prevented, treated or minimised, some conditions or issues with hearing quality are progressive or impossible to reverse. It is important never to minimise the impact this may have on your life, where tasks we take for granted, like driving a car, answering a phone call or popping into a shop, become significantly more complex when you can hear some – or none – of the sounds around you.

In this article, we review the benefits available to you if hearing loss has a significant impact on your quality of life.

Key Takeaways

  • People experiencing hearing loss in England may qualify for several benefits depending on the impact and duration of their condition, including Universal Credit, Attendance Allowance, and Personal Independence Payment (PIP). These benefits cater to different age groups and needs, providing financial support to those affected.
  • Beyond standard financial benefits, specific aids like the Access to Work grant offer support for employment-related adjustments, covering the cost of assistive devices and workplace modifications for individuals with hearing loss. Local authorities and organisations like the RNID also provide various services and equipment to assist daily living.
  • Eligibility for these benefits and services requires a confirmed diagnosis of hearing loss, which can be obtained through comprehensive hearing assessments. The benefits are designed to address both the direct and indirect impacts of hearing loss, enhancing the quality of life and accessibility for those affected.

benefits available for those with hearing loss

Which Benefits Are Available to People in England With Hearing Loss?

The benefits you may be entitled to vary depending on the anticipated duration and extent of your hearing loss. It’s also worth clarifying that benefits differ between England and Wales, Scotland and Ireland – but for the purposes of this guide, we’ll focus on England, where the Regain Hearing clinics are based.

In short, you may qualify for three potential allowances or payments: Universal Credit, which replaces the former Employment and Support Allowance, the Attendance Allowance, and the Personal Independence Payment.

Universal Credit Payments for Claimants With Hearing Loss

Universal Credit is a fairly new addition to the UK benefits system. It is paid monthly to people who are on low incomes or cannot work. If your hearing loss impacts your ability to work or the amount of work you can do each month, you may be eligible. People with severe hearing loss that is considered a disability can also often claim Universal Credit.

The exact amount payable depends on your earnings and savings, but it is currently set at £292.11 per month for people under 25 and £368.74 a month for older adults. Those standard allowances increase to £578.82 a month for a couple over 25 claiming jointly – the total benefit for both individuals.

Additional Universal Credit may also be awarded to people with disabilities or health conditions or to those with caring responsibilities or dependent children.

Find out more information here. 

The Attendance Allowance

The Attendance Allowance is a separate benefit paid to people with a disability or illness, with varying weekly rates calculated based on the support or assistance you may need. Although the name of the benefit indicates that it is to contribute towards professional care, you can spend it on anything you wish.

Applicants must meet several criteria to qualify, including:

  • Being above State Pension age – if not, the Personal Independence Payment may be relevant.
  • Having a disability or impairment, including hearing and sight problems.
  • Stating that you would benefit from personal care support.
  • Having a condition that requires help for at least six months.

Note that the Attendance Allowance is not means-tested, so you may be eligible regardless of whether you work or have savings. The lower rate is set at £68.10 a week, paid monthly, whereas the higher rate is £101.75 per week.

You can find out more about the attendance allowance here. 

The Personal Independence Payment

The Personal Independence Payment, or PIP, is the equivalent of the Attendance Allowance for people under State Pension age. It is intended to support people who have long-term conditions that impact their income, such as having to work reduced hours or not being able to work.

You can spend PIP on any costs you wish, and the benefit is split into a mobility and a daily living component – some people can claim one or the other, and some can claim both.

The daily living component is calculated at £68.10 per week for standard claims and £101.75 per week for enhanced claims. The mobility component is based on £26.90 and £71 per week, again on a standard and enhanced tiered system.

You can find out more about PIP for deafness here. 

Access to Work Support

Access to Work provides grants for people with hearing loss to cover the cost of devices or communication assistance to ensure they can continue to work or return to the workforce. The government scheme supports people with conditions or disabilities and allows them to pay for varied equipment, such as loop systems for meetings and listening devices.

If you are over 16 and have hearing loss that affects your ability to work, you may be eligible. Grants are not repayable and can be used to make adjustments to the workplace if your employer cannot manage them or for personal assistive devices.

You must have a job or be able to start an employment role to apply and may not be eligible for some other benefits if you claim an Access to Work grant and vice versa.

Find out more about access to work support here. 

Other Support Services for People With Hearing Loss

Many local authorities offer additional support for people in the area who are living with hearing loss or who are deaf. Public services such as the NHS, the Department for Work and Pensions, the Royal National Institute for Deaf People (RNID), and Jobcentre Plus can also assist, depending on the type of help you require.

Examples might include low-cost, subsidised, or free equipment, such as communications devices, access to a sign language interpreter, or a speech-to-text recorder that allows people with limited hearing to use a keyboard to transcribe messages and dialogues onto their screen.

Claiming Benefits When Suffering From Hearing Loss

If you are experiencing hearing difficulties that are impacting your life, career, or ability to carry out daily tasks, you may well be entitled to some of the benefits listed here – and potentially other support, such as reduced rail cards to cut the cost of public transport if you are unable to drive.

The first step is to book a complete hearing assessment to ensure you have a formal, confirmed diagnosis or treatment plan – you’ll find an overview of all the hearing appraisals we offer through our guide to Different Types of Hearing Tests.